- 2 sweet potatoes – sliced thinly
- Oil to deep fry
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 onions – chopped
- 2 cloves garlic – chopped
- 2 red chillies – chopped
- 3 red peppers – chopped
- 3 green peppers – chopped
- 700g assorted mushrooms – halved (a combination of shitake, chestnut and button should do the trick!)
- 150g tomato puree
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 5g cocoa powder
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 2 aubergines – chopped and griddled
- 250ml strong vegetable stock
- 1 head of celery – chopped
- 50ml vegetable oil to fry
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 avocados – chopped
- 1 plum tomato – finely chopped
- ¼ red onion – chopped
- Half bunch of coriander – chopped
- 1 chilli – finely chopped
- Juice of 3 limes
- Salt and pepper
- To make the chilli, cook the onion, pepper, chilli, celery and garlic over a gentle heat until soft.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 – 8 mins, spoon in the tomato puree and cook for a further 10 mins.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, spices, cocoa and stock then bring to the boil, cook for a final 20 mins.
- Finally add the aubergines and season.
- To make the ‘nachos’, gently place the thinly cut sweet potato in the oil at 180°c and deep fry for 3 minutes, or until nachos begin to brown.
- Remove using a perforated draining spoon and place on paper towel to soak up any excess oil.
- Toss in salt and paprika.
- To make the guacamole, mix the onion, chilli, tomatoes, salt and pepper.
- Place the avocados in a bowl.
- Squeeze the lime over the chopped avocados, then mix well with the rest of the guacamole ingredients and season to taste.
- To serve, sit the ‘nachos’ in a large bowl, spoon over the chilli and top with the guacamole. Sprinkle with coriander to finish.
5g cocoa powder= 1 exchange. Avocado is on the NSPKU once a day fruit list. Just one handful is permitted per day. A serving is a child's hand for a child and an adult's hand for an adult.
Always check the protein content on labels as ingredients lists can change. Use the NSPKU foods list to check permitted foods.