What is PKU air?
PKU air is the lowest calorie, ready-to-drink protein substitute for PKU and is available in two pack sizes:
PKU air15 contains the equivalent of 15 grams of protein
PKU air20 contains the equivalent of 20 grams of protein
PKU air also contains the vitamins, minerals, trace elements and omega 3 long chain polyunsaturated fatty acid (DHA) that are needed to help meet your or your child’s requirements.
Who is PKU air for?
PKU air is suitable for use in children from 3 years of age with PKU. Therefore, it can be taken through childhood into adulthood, including pregnancy. As PKU air does contain less calories than other ready-to-drink protein substitutes for PKU; speak to your dietitian about its’ suitability for your young child.
How much PKU air do I need?
The amount of PKU air needed will depend on a variety of factors including age, weight and PKU control. Your dietitian will advise exactly how much PKU air will be needed each day.
How do I use PKU air?
PKU air is easy to use…….
- Shake the pouch with the cap still on to mix the contents well
- Take off the cap and drink directly from the pouch.
- Drinking PKU air by itself does not provide enough fluid for you or your child so water (or another permitted drink) should be taken straight after PKU air.
What flavour is PKU air?
PKU air has been specifically designed to appeal to the taste buds of teenagers and adults; and so is available in the following five great flavours; indicated by the colour of the lid;
- A gold lid is called “Coffee Fusion”
- A green lid is called “Citrus Twist”
- A red lid is called “Berry Blast”
- A white lid is called “Caribbean Crush” and
- A yellow lid is called “Mango Breeze”.
Some people with PKU choose their favourite colour to take all of the time, while some prefer a variety and choose their flavour depending on their desire at a particular time.
What is the difference between PKU cooler and PKU air?
While PKU air and PKU cooler are both ready-to-drink, protein substitutes for use from 3 years of age, PKU air has been developed based on feedback from teenagers and adults with PKU who wanted a liquid protein substitute that contained less calories than currently available protein substitutes. They also wanted flavours that were more suited to their taste buds.